The Parish Council shall act as a representative body of the Community of God in Holy Transfiguration Parish in common with one another and with the Pastor to meet, deliberate, and act in common agreement on those matters for which they are responsible and which concern the good of the Church, and the Parish; to confer with and advise the Pastor on any matters which are brought to its attention, and to promote the Christian life and actions of the people of the Parish to the fulfillment of our Christian heritage and responsibilities.
All active Parish members in good standing for at least two years and at least 18 years of age are eligible to serve on the Parish Council or any committee formed under authority of the Parish Council.
2014 Parish Council Members
- Michael Hajjar (President/Chairperson) (301-922-3397)
- Oliver Black
- Sam Hondros
- Lani Kanakry
- Sam Kanakry
- Georgianna Kostak
- Lee Misleh
- Phil Rosenbaum
- Carrie Severino
The adult education class meets on Sunday mornings from 9:30 to 10:15 in the education wing off the church hall. This year the classes is led by Philip Rosenbaum. We follow the Sunday School calendar (shown HERE) so we do not meet during summer vacation and on some major liturgical holidays. We discuss a variety of subjects such as the nature of Orthodoxy, the study of Old and New Testament books, and the tradition of the Church. Any interested adult is welcome to attend! Feel free to join our discussion of the Scriptures or just sit back and listen.
The mission of the Ladies Guild is to promote holiness of its members, foster authentic Eastern Christian Spirituality through study lectures and programs, assist the pastor in caring for the needs of the church, and encourage Guild members to establish a sense of community. The work that is continually being performed by the members of the Guild is essential to the welfare of our church as well as our spiritual growth.
The Ladies Guild has graciously given support to our Pastor from the very beginning. There have been meetings for the following activities:
- Guide the arrangement of social affairs
- Attend to charitable needs
- Enlist visitations to the sick
- Arrange retreats and days of recollection for women and parishioners to enhance their knowledge of God, his saints, and of Orthodox Christian life
- Arrange for baking Christmas Sweets, and cooking for social events and festivals
- Make vestments for the altar servers
- Decorate the church in honor of feast days
- Offer hospitality to the entire parish on Sundays after Liturgy and to families of deceased members
On-Going Special Projects
The Ladies Guild gives on-going support to these additional charitable projects:
- Needy children in the Holy Land
- Little Sisters of the Poor
- Centro Tepeyac Pregnancy Center
- Holy Transfiguration Church Sunday School & Youth Group Programs
- As Members of the National Association of Melkite Women we lend support to projects of the Bishop.
The Melkite Youth Group is a group of Melkite Catholic young adults, bound together by Christ’s love and a desire to grow closer to our God.