Our new series, "An Introduction to Eastern Christianity", is now ongoing!
Tuesdays at 8 PM: From venerating icons and lighting candles, to singing without instruments and standing throughout the liturgy, the initial experience of Eastern Christian worship can be somewhat disorienting for those more familiar with Western Christian traditions. If you are interested in learning more about Eastern Christian worship and spirituality, please join our Adult Education team as they offer a 5-week online introductory catechesis series beginning on Tuesday, June 15th.
For information on how to join the live meetings, please contact us through the Contact Us page.
If you missed a session, you can view the recordings below:
Participation in the liturgy and the services of the Church has always been the most important way to grow in Faith and in Spirit. Everything the Church teaches flows from the Eucharist and the prayers and petitions that surround it. This is where the mind of Christ, the testimony of the Holy Spirit, and the teachings of the Holy Apostles and Fathers are brought out in their fullness.
Formal study and discussion expands understanding and appreciation. Under the Auspices of our St. Gregory the Theologian Catechetical School, we offer a number of on-going opportunities for adult education:
- A self-study program based on short readings is always available for those wanting to know more about the Melkite Greek-Catholic Church and our life in Christ. Discussion groups designed to complement the self-study are available once or twice each year.
- A Sunday morning study group meets before Liturgy (9:30 to 10:30 a.m.) on select Sundays during the school year.
- Sunday afternoon lectures and interactive studies are offered throughout the year after coffee hour (12:30-1:30 p.m.).
- Four-to-six week themed study groups are offered during one or more of the Church’s fasting seasons, especially during Lent.
- Individual sessions are available as needed for anyone planning to be married in the Church and for those seeking baptism and/or formal affiliation with the Melkite Greek-Catholic Church.
- Our church bookstore is open every Sunday during the school year and after many other services.
- We encourage everyone to take advantage of the monthly offerings available across Northern Virginia through the Institute of Catholic Culture, headed by our Fr. Hezekias Carnazzo. More information and archived presentations are available at the Institute of Catholic Culture.